UPCOMING RACES/EVENTS.....Jan 23--Worst Day of the Year Ride......Jan 30--MMBA Expo.....Feb 20 Chili Ride....Mar.26.2011 Barry-Roubaix.......Mar.27.2011 Fisk Knob Time Trial.....Sundays, Mar.27-Apr 17 AAVC Spring Training Series....... Apr 16 Ragin' Raisin Dirt Classic..........

Monday, March 22, 2010

Fisk Knob TT




Me and my support crew, Todd (the hippie) and Jake (the dog), made the trek over to the westside of the state for the Fisk Knob TT. It was a bit of a mini-reunion of the Alabama Cycling camp folks. Ran into West Michigan Coast Riders Terry B. and Marc B. (no relations), fresh off the mall race the previous day during which Terry had squeaked out a victory (and free dinner) from Marc. I might mention Marc had the most AMAZING HAT but unfortunately I was too stunned to photograph it. While lining up for my start, I spied Ken of Breakway Bicycles but never had a chance to say "hi" before it was time to speed down the Knob.

I'm not exactly a TT queen but I did get the bike ready by ditching the dorky homegrown pump bag and pink leopard seat bag (tools? who NEEDS tools?). I was rockin' it old-skool with my '94 ('93?) Merlin and a power tap wheel that weighed more than half the frames there. Areo bars? Eddy Merckx never needed 'em. Zipp 808's? Rear disc wheel? Aero helmet? Really people, I have a mortgage. I did acquiesce by wearing a skinsuit, but I had to insulate that with a couple of layers so you couldn't really tell.

Overall, I didn't do as badly as I typically do at Fisk. I managed to pass a 12yr old girl at one point and by some miracle (musta been the scent of hot dogs wafting from the finish), passed a guy on the last 100m of the Knob.

Things to know about the Fisk Knob TT

1. It starts (and more importantly finishes) atop the highest point in Kent Co.
2. Fisk is traditionally windy, cold and possibly snowy (subject to change)
3. Bring ALL the cycling clothing you own (if new team clothing hasn't arrived, dress fashionably)
4. Have your coach at the start line....
5. Those who lit out fast on the outbound stair-step downhill (with tailwind!) section of 22 mi road will pay later
6. The 4 mi return trip on 22 mi road is a series of stair-step uphills into a headwind
7. Even when you *think* you've turned out of the headwind, here's still plenty of wind for the last 1.5 mi up to the top of the Knob.
8. They have SOUP! (note: do not leave your roll unattended if you bring a dog)
9. Always thank your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment